It is imperative that while you enjoy using your diffuser, you should also clean it after each use. This is true especially when you regularly use your diffuser, and by regular it means using it about two to three times a day. Don't worry, it's fairly easy!
Why You Clean Your Diffuser After Every Use
After using your diffuser, there will usually be leftover water with some essential oil particles in it. Cleaning your diffuser after every use will prolong its operation. You will be removing residual specks that may clog the humidifier. Clogged humidifier tubes are generally the cause of machine breakdown.
Cleaning your humidifier will also prevent your machine from corrosions. Some essential oils may prove to be corrosive to plastics. Since most diffusers are made from high-grade quality plastics, they are also prone to corrosive elements that are present in some essential oils.
This cleaning habit will prevent your diffuser from harboring molds, bacteria, and viruses that thrive in humid environments such as the inside parts of your diffuser.
To begin cleaning your diffuser effectively, make sure that the device is unplugged from the power source.
- After you are done using your diffuser, pour out the remaining water from the machine.
- Using damp rag or cotton swap, wipe the insides, corners and mist chip of the diffuser.
- Include wiping the insides of the diffuser’s cover.
- Pat dry using a dry cloth or paper towel.
- Prepare a pitcher of water with 3 drops of Earth Vibes Lemongrass Essential oils and 3 drops of Lemon Essential oil.
- Open the diffuser and empty out the contents.
- Dip a paper towel into the pitcher of water with lemon and lemongrass essential oils and start wiping the insides of the diffuser. You will also need to wipe the cover of the diffuser.
- Using a cotton swap dipped in the mixture, clean out the narrow spaces and crevices inside the diffuser.
- Wipe it dry using a dry paper towel and cotton swap for total sanitation.
You can perform deep cleaning at least once a month for a thorough diffuser cleaning. You will need to prepare the following materials:
- A pitcher of clean water
- 10 drops of Pure White Vinegar
- Dry Paper Towels
- Cotton Swaps
- Fill up your diffuser with clean water. Make sure you don’t go beyond the maximum line indicated in the device.
- Place about 10 drops of pure white vinegar into the water.
- Plug in the diffuser and let it operate for about 5 minutes allowing the water-vinegar mixture to disperse throughout the diffuser cleaning it from stubborn residues.
- Dip a cotton swab into the mixture and set aside.
- Drain the diffuser completely.
- Using the cotton swab dipped in the mixture, clean out the crevices and tight spots inside the diffuser.
- Rinse the diffuser with clean water.
- Use a dry cloth, paper towel or dry cotton swab to dry out the diffuser completely and thoroughly.
DO’s and DON’T’s When Maintaining Your Diffuser
- Check the manufacturer’s warranty conditions. Some diffuser brands will automatically void your warranty when you have used the vinegar solution to clean it.
- Most diffusers have instructions on how to maintain their device to its tip-top condition.
- Use tap water when filling out your diffuser. Tap water contains minerals that diffuse particles better than distilled or purified water.
- If you are going to use soap to wash the container, use a NATURAL dishwashing soap to avoid corrosion with the plastic materials that diffusers are made of. Some commercial dishwashing soap may contain harsh ingredients that may damage the parts of the diffuser.
- You may also opt for rubbing alcohol instead of the lemon and lemongrass mixture. But you need to thoroughly wipe dry the alcohol since it may also be corrosive to plastics.
Diffusing essential oil particles may improve your mind, mood, and physical state. It is important that the device you use in enjoying these healthful benefits should also be in its prime condition to operate. If you take time to take care of your diffuser, it will, in turn, take care of you and give you desirable results every time you use it in your home or office. There’s no arguing how aromatherapy can greatly improve your lifestyle and it just needs a little time for a little bit of cleaning.